Tuesday, January 27, 2015

For your reading pleasure, a new blog from Mintern

Hello readers!

This was the best week of training ever! I got to meet one of the super awesome dogs that the Department of Corrections keeps on staff. There are nine dogs that work for the department. They travel from facility to facility to sniff out bombs and narcotics, and they follow the scent trails of escaped offenders! The dogs can pick up the trail of an escaped offender from miles away. That’s pretty amazing!

For the presentation today, one of the dog trainers stowed a little bit of marijuana in the purse of one of my fellow classmates. When the (cute but ferocious) dog was brought into the room it barked and barked until the dog trainer gave him some slack to hunt out the contraband. The doggy found it within minutes and quietly sat right next to the purse-in-question until the dog trainer discovered the drugs and gave the puppy his favorite chew toy as a prize.

The dog trainers said that anyone in the department of corrections is welcome to cross-train with them for a day. If I cross-train with the dog trainers, I would get to see the dog in action in a real prison and help make sure the dog stays on top of his game by doing drills. So my new mission in life is to think up an irrefutable reason that a prison librarian needs to cross-train with the narcotics doggy. Any and all suggestions are welcome!


Mintern, over and out.

2 comments:

  1. Hello, my name is Josh and I am a senior editor with I Need A Library Job blog. I am looking to write an article about corrections librarianship and would like to talk/email you, if possible. If you are interested, please feel free to contact me. Thank you for your time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Josh! I would love to talk to you about prison librarianship for your blog. You can contact me at askaprisonlibrarian@gmail.com. Thanks!

      Delete